Reaver Titan – Assembly and Interior

Ok, I know it’s been a long time between posts. This is not to say that I’ve been idle however. Work has officially begun on the Forge World Revear Titan.

Reaver wip 7

Let me start with the usual spiel of what an amazing model this is. I know everyone says it, but it’s true. The amount of detail is staggering, easily on par with the mars pattern warhound.

While the model is amazing, it’s also a bit of a prick to put together. And, as is often the case, there isn’t much comfort to be found in the instructions that come with it. To be honest, I’m really glad I had the experience of assembling the warhound before I attempted the Reaver. The warhound is just that little bit easier, and is a great stepping stone for building up to this monster.

The legs in particular are quite tricky, as although the main skeleton of the legs has a fair bit of flexibility, the armour panels that get attached later don’t like posses that move far from straight up and down. This means when you’re sorting out what pose you want, keep in mind not to simply pose it with the skeleton of the legs, as the armour panels may not fit when you go to put them on.

I’ve spent quite a few hours on the reaver now, and I honestly think at least half of them have been spent simply staring at it, trying to work out how to pose the legs and building up the courage to do it. The model is quite heavy, and so the legs are going to be taking a lot of weight. I made sure to pin all the main joins to help with the load. Furthermore, rather than use superglue I used a two part epoxy resin. This is MUCH stronger than superglue, and combined with the pins should make sure the titan holds together.

For anyone about to attempt assembling a reaver (or warhound, for that matter), I’d recommend starting with the body. Comparatively it’s very easy, and there aren’t too many stumbling blocks. It’s exciting to see some progress, and it builds up your confidence for tackling the rest of it. The only thing I’d recommend here is keep the details and armour panels separate for now, as it will make painting them a lot easier.

When it comes to assembling the legs, first of all pick the pose you want. I found blutacking the legs together really helped so I could do some trial poses (they will regularly fall apart though). Once I’d settled on a pose, I then assembled the upper and lower legs together first. While doing this I kept rechecking the pose, including with the leg armour in place (it really does affect where the legs can be placed). I start with the upper and lower legs as both the hip joints and the feet use ball and socket joins, which have a lot more flexibility in them than the knees. This means if the legs aren’t quite how you wanted them, their should be enough flexibility in the feet and hip joins to compensate. I then attached the legs to the hips, all the while with the legs resting (but not glued) in the feet sockets. Lastly, I glued the feet in place.

This is a really heavy model, so I made sure to pin all the major joins. I also used a two part epoxy resin to glue it together, as it is much stronger than super glue.

This is a really heavy model, so I made sure to pin all the major joins. I also used a two part epoxy resin to glue it together, as it is much stronger than super glue.

I’ve also managed to get most of the interior details painted. Most of these were done separately, and then glued together after the painting was finished.

The main interior of the titan, without the detail added

The main interior of the titan, without the detail added

One of the interior detail panels, ready to be glued in place

One of the interior detail panels, ready to be glued in place

The main interior after the detail panels have been added

The main interior after the detail panels have been added

Details of the rear section of the interior

Details of the rear section of the interior

The princeps and moderati crew

The princeps and moderati crew

Details of the cockpit

Details of the cockpit

Really pleased with the progress so far. Next up will be starting to airbrush the exterior details.

Cheers guys

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Titans, Titans WIP and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Reaver Titan – Assembly and Interior

  1. John Sutton says:

    I remember painting my reaver and had a similar experience to you. I was glad that I had built the Warhound first too (I actually built two).

  2. John Sutton says:

    Accidentally hit reply.

    The kit is well and truly worth it. Such a monster. And it is a serious badass on the board too. At 1450pts it would want to be though I suppose. Good luck with the rest of it. Looking forward to seeing more soon

  3. rustymagos says:

    Cheers John!
    It’s proving to be a huge project, but it’s something I’ve wanted to work on for a very long time now. I’m planning on painting it in the Legio Ignatum colour scheme, so I’ll definitely be using your Reaver as inspiration!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s